Skip to main content

Songs To Do Drag To

I've been to a number of drag shows in my day. Men dressed as women, women dressed as men, inebriated sexually ambiguous audience members dancing up on you, awkward situations in the bathrooms, ridiculously expensive alcoholic beverages... it's always a good time.

As a result of my attendance at these festive events, I have a sick habit of hearing a song and thinking, "This would be PERFECT to do drag to." Unfortunately, I've never felt like shaving my legs (and my face), taping up Mr. Happy, pulling on a miniskirt and a pair of high-heels and dancing around on stage while lipsynching to "Girls Just Want To Have Fun." But here are a few songs I'd totally do drag to, if I were willing to shave my legs.

Tori Amos - Raspberry Swirl
Tori is to the gay community what Eminem is to insecure white boys from the suburbs: she's a god(dess). "Raspberry Swirl" features such lyrics as, "everybody knows I'm her friend / everybody knows I'm her man" and, "things are getting desperate / when all the boys can't be men." Yes, said.

Garbage - Sex Is Not The Enemy/Cherry Lips (Go Baby Go!) (see below)
Okay, maybe I'm a little biased - Garbage has been my favorite band for over a decade now - but Shirley and the boys have produced some excellent songs for drag. "Sex Is Not The Enemy" declares that a "revolution is the solution," while opining that "true love's like gold / there's not enough to go around / but then there's God / and doesn't God love everyone?" "Cherry Lips (Go Baby Go!)" is about a young boy dressing as a girl (and going to truck stops to have sex, etc). "Because you looked just like a girl / your baby blues would flash / and suddenly a spell was cast." Both are perfect for drag.



Calvin Harris - The Girls
This one is for the prospective drags kings out there. To be honest, if I had the opportunity, I'd be more than willing to be a man who is dressing like a woman who is doing drag as a man to this song. Confusing? Yeah, well, in Calvin Harris' ode to the fairer sex ("I like them black girls, I like them white girls, I like them Asian girls, I like them mixed race girls"), he ultimately comes to a conclusion that all drag kings must come to if they want to master the craft: "I get all the girls." Does that make sense? Probably not, but I'm okay with that.

Nelly Furtado - Maneater (see below)
In this song we meet Nelly Furtado, who walks in the door and everyone promptly moves their nubile young bodies in a--oh, who cares? It's about a woman who sucks your soul, and your cash, through your dick. Perfect for a drag queen! "She's a maneater, make you buy cars, make you cut cords, wish you never ever met her at all."



Questions: Have you been to a drag show? Would you be willing to shave your legs and pull on a pair of high heels (or, for the ladies out there, stick a cucumber in your pants and pull on your favorite wifebeater) and do drag? What song(s) would you do drag to?

Comments

  1. I love this post sooooo much. thank you, ADAM, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. rock on Adam!
    No, I've never been to a drag show. Yes, I'd be willing to do all the shaving and heels. but instead of using a cucumber, I would just order a free 30 day sample of vigrx and hope for the best.

    Do I need to say it? I would do drag to AQUA /BARBIE GIRL!! I'm so generic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brittany--hahahaha. I'm glad you like it! Now, what are your drag songs, ehhhh?

    Nader--you should totally go to a drag show! It's a lot of fun, great energy. Hah, I don't think I'd be willing to shave down my legs to do drag myself, kudos to you for being willing! But man, why didn't I think about Barbie Girl? EXCELLENT song choice!

    A few more songs I probably should have mentioned and didn't:
    The Pipettes - Dirty Mind (I'm imagining three guys dressed like a '60s girl group. AMAZING)
    Avenue D - Fire Desire (look up the lyrics and tell me it isn't perfect for drag. DO IT. Plus, it has Boy George. What?)
    RuPaul - Supermodel (if you really want to get meta, have a woman dressed as a man dressed as a woman sing it. Brilliant, right?)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Mon Soleil" - Ashley Park

If there's anything people take away from my piss-poor legacy, I hope it's what a huge, unabashed fan of "Emily in Paris" I am and will continue to be. People love "90 Day Fiancee," "The Bachelor," and other garbage - allow me "Emily," which is at least harmless, kind of goofy fluff (which does, unfortunately, lean into some stereotypes, as the country of Ukraine knows ). I have already watched Season 2 twice. And honestly my favorite part of this show (despite my crush on Camille Razart and Lily Collins channeling Audrey Hepburn hardcore ) is Ashley Park. This woman has superstar written all over her. She's a bona fide Broadway star, and "Emily in Paris" has served as her pivot into the zeitgeist.  "Emily in Paris" is also showcasing her vocal prowess front and center this season, with her covering BTS, "All By Myself," "Sympathtique," and Marilyn Monroe. But the real standout performance is th

Appropriate Holiday Gift Ideas for the Single Lady

While some people may see it as a drag, there are plenty of benefits to being single during the holiday season. During this time of the year, there are tons of parties you can attend that you may not have had the opportunity to if you were in a relationship. There’s also not as much stress on you as a single gal during the holidays because you don’t have to shop for your partner and extended family members  or  stress over where to eat Christmas dinner.  Not everyone sees the bright side of being fancy free during the holidays, and, tragically, they aren't afraid to let us single ladies know. Not only are single women subjected to even more harassment and ridicule during the holiday season, they’re also given the most obnoxious gifts by those who can’t comprehend how anyone can be both happy and single. Whether it’s a self-help book (desperately) trying to reinforce how great is to be single or the gift of a year-long subscription to Match.com , single women are presented with

Give JR a Break

Recently, I've been reading some sites that have criticized James Roday, the lead actor on the USA show PSYCH for an apparent weight gain. But you know what? Who gives a flying fizzle stick if James Roday is slightly larger than he was 4 years ago. Apparently, it wasn't enough to scare away his current girlfriend/ co-star Maggie Lawson. (Who is one hell of a Catch!) And NO they are not engaged. That seems to be nothing more than a rumor, but there is a very high chance of it happening in the near future. Anyway, as long as PSYCH continues to entertain I don't mind about James Roday's waist. He, and Dule Hill, and Corbin Bernson too, can eat all the fried broccoli they want. The last episode of PSYCH wasn't so smashing, but I don't blame it on dietary issues. QATFYG: Are you keeping up with Psych? And who is hotter, James Roday or Maggie Lawson? (Trick Question but idk why) PS: If you have heard any more news on Roday and Lawson becoming Roday-Lawson, send it